So what to do when I stub my toe, or spill water all over my papers, or lose an hour's worth of work because I forgot to hit 'save'? "Gee, that's a shame" just doesn't satisfy. I need a release. Something with a little KA-POW! and a dash of ZING!
Here are my go-to "swear" words that work just as well as the real thing, but without the guilt:
- Balls on a biscuit! - This is my phrase of choice lately. I don't know why; I can't remember the last time I had a biscuit. The visual is actually quite disturbing. I also say "Balls!". Bobby on Supernatural has been saying it a lot lately, so that's probably where I picked it up from.
- Crap! - No explanation needed.
- Frick! - Thanks to Elliot on Scrubs, this word is a very satisfying replacement for the other "F" word.
- Crimini! - When I really want to be PG, like when 'crap' is not appropriate. Another one I learned recently is "Crivens", the swear word of choice for a Nac Mac Feegle.
- Dang it all! - Hubs uses this a lot, and I often retort with "dang some of it". That will usually make him smile.
- What the heck?! - Another typical one. I think "heck" is more satisfying because it has the sharp "k" sound at the end.
- Shoot! - No explanation needed.
These words are effective because of the hard consonant, making them sharp and quick. Many of those terms can be enhanced with the addition of "holy" or "freakin'".
What are your alternative swear words? Heard any good ones lately?